This is in continuation to my first article around Microsoft TEAMS
Microsoft TEAM has been around for a while now and I think it’s time to discuss its architecture and feature in detail
To start with let’s understand the architecture of MS TEAMS
NGC = Next-Generation Core (audio-video stack)
ECS = Experimentation & Configuration Service (a Skype configuration service)
MRU = Most recently used
WS = Windows service
WAC = Web App Companion
Teams MT = Teams Middle-Tier – used for auth, establish identity & region
How Authentication works in MS TEAM
Microsoft Teams uses existing O365 credentials to provide access
Identities are stored in Azure Active Directory
Aligns with existing O365 AAD authentication policies
Modern authentication: multi-factor authentication, smart card, and certificate-based authentication
As we all know, Every TEAM creates a SharePoint online Site collection (GROUP SITE) in the background but what gets saved in it.
· Each Channel in a Team gets a folder on this SharePoint Online site
· The Files tab uploads your collaboration files to this SharePoint Online site
· Files shared within a conversation are automatically added to the Files tab
· Permissions and file security options set in SharePoint are automatically reflected within Teams
· Files can be managed in the SharePoint web client by clicking the “…” next to the file name
TEAMS do have an option for private chat same as SKYPE for business, we can chat (Both Video and Audio) share our files, but where do those files get saved?
· All Private chat files are hosted in your OneDrive for Business
· Files shared in private chat are automatically shared in the sender's OneDrive
· Permissions are automatically granted to all participants in a private chat where a file is shared
· Clicking Files in the left rail gives you instant access to your OneDrive for Business files
Exchange got major role to play in MS TEAM
· Exchange Online creates a group mailbox and calendar for each newly-created Team
· Meetings created within Microsoft Teams are pushed to your Exchange calendar
· Meetings created in Exchange sync to the Meetings tab in Microsoft Teams
What are connectors and Bot in MS TEAM
· Office 365 Connectors also provide a way for developers to integrate with Microsoft Teams by building custom incoming web hooks Connectors to generate rich cards within channels.
· Bots are intelligent means to interact
Will MS TEAM fit in for compliance industry
· Industry standards: ISO 27001, ISO 27018, EUMC, SSAE16 SOC1 Type I & II, SOC2 Type I and II, HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA
· Protects team data using two-factor authentication, hard passwords, and access policies
· Data is always encrypted, whether chat, notes, or files
Lastly, what is 0365 GROUP has got to do inside Microsoft TEAMS
Microsoft Teams uses group membership as the access control list for Files and Notes tabs
How to migrate existing 0365 group to MS TEAM
1. Download the Teams desktop application here.
2. Open to the application.
3. Choose “Create Team”
4. Click ‘Add Microsoft Teams to an Existing O365 Group?’
5. Select the Office 365 Group you like to convert as MS Teams and select ‘Choose Team’ and your new Team is ready in MS Teams
MS TEAM has got more functionality and feature which we can’t cover in just 1 article, will add few more around BOT, TAB, and some admin and report functionality around MS Teams in my next subsequent articles.