Target Application is what SharePoint is going to use to reach out to data (external data such as data from SQL server, other business application or any other resource). Instead of providing direct access permission to external data for SharePoint users, data is served to users based on credentials that are stored in the respective target application. This article explains the steps required for creating a Target Application ( for Excel Services to fetch data from SQL server, which would be explained in next article).
Follow the below steps to create a new target application, (To configure Secure Store Service, please refer my other article here)
1. Go to Central Administration and click on Manage Service Applications.
2. Select Secure Store Service and it will open the Secure Store Application service page.
3. Now we are going to create our New Target Application, by clicking on New on the top ribbon.
4. In ‘Create New Secure Store Target Application’ page, provide the Target Application ID, Display Name, and Contact E-mail.
There are 6 type Target Application Type (Individual Ticket, Individual Restricted, Individual, Group Ticket, Group Restricted, Group) please refer this msdn site to know more about Target Application Type.
To make things simple, just think of Individual (Individual means we are going to map each individual user to the Target application) and Group (Group allows us to go ahead and map an entire group at one time.) with Group I can use ‘Everyone’ in our Active Directory or I can simply use Security Group.
5. In next window, we will be navigated to give Field Names and Field Types. Here I used only Window user name and password for Field Name.
6. In this step we have to create an Administrator for Target Application (I have used farm account or you can use separate service account if you have to) and in Members field I’ve give Everyone from Security Group in Active Directory. Click OK
7. Now we have created our New Target Application, but still we need to set those credentials. To set credentials select Target Application and select Set from top ribbon
8. Here I used a service account that I’ve already put in Active Directory to set the credentials.
Now our Target Application is completed and we can go ahead and give this to Excel Services to use. You can see that in my next article. Thank you for reading.